March 2023 Newsletter
If you have information for our April Newsletter, check our website calendar for deadlines and distribution dates. Read the March 2023 HCBA Newsletter.
“Bee” Social Gatherings
Meet fellow beekeepers! Drink a brew, bite a chew, and have a chat. Second Mondays 7-9 pm each Month. Check the calendar of events to participate: https://hcbeekeepers.org/hcba-calendar-of-events/
Beekeepers In The News
Henderson County Beekeepers have been in the news!
Henderson County Beekeepers Association | Holly Lesuer | Membership Director
Henderson County Beekeepers Association | Antoine Ignizio | Historic Johnson Farm Apiary
Beekeepers Names New President, Holds Honey-Tasting Contest, Times News November 2022
Steve Pettis Interviews Beekeeper Jim Poe November 2022
Blainesworld podcast featuring Jim Poe and Padma Dyvine on December 2022
Got Swarms ???
If you have a swarm on your property, we probably have someone willing to come get it. Click on the link and call whoever covers your area or call 828 BEE 5623 (828-233-5623)
🌞 Apiary News 🌚
We are scheduling our final Bee School Apiary Workshop for Saturday, March 25 at 1PM at the Apiary at Johnson farm. 2023 Bee school students will be given priority so if you’d like to go please call 828.817.4034 or RSVP at this Facebook event. The weather looks like it should cooperate BUT we may call a last minute change of plans if the forecast turns out to be less than accurate. At this session we will perform an actual installation of a NUC (Nucleus colony) into a 10 frame deep hive body. As the weather is expected to be warm there will be lots of bees flying so make sure to bring your bee suit, gloves and any and all questions you may have. We’ll see you all Saturday, take care, Dan.
PS: Years ago, HCBA President, Michelle Tennant, videotaped her Bee School NUC Installation. For those of you who can’t make it Saturday, here is her video: https://youtu.be/h7Jvu-vdQug
The club’s Apiary is located at Historic Johnson Farm (select link for info) on Haywood Rd/Rte 191 across from Rugby Middle school.
Remember to enter through the exit, park in the parking lot to the right and walk to the back of the property.
You may renew your membership at the link below and you will again be eligible for ALL the benefits of being a member of HCBA.
HCBA Meeting Minutes, Board Meeting minutes are now available online. Email email@example.com for a link.
Request for Speakers
HCBA has a commitment to education. Therefore, HCBA attends festivals as well as going to schools, clubs and other opportunities to speak with the public about Beekeeping and pollinators in general.
Requests for an HCBA guest speaker may be directed to Dan Bowen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
HCBA Speakers Series
HCBA runs a Speakers Series for Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced Beekeepers.
Sign up for our newsletter at the top of this page to stay in touch.
You do not have to be a member to join our newsletter.
See current speaker list and visit the HCBA YouTube Channel to meet our leaders and speakers.
HCBA uses several communications vehicles:
- The website at click here will give a summary of club communications
- The calendar of Events click here will provide specific details on scheduled events such as topic, date, time, location and agenda. For directions via google maps, click on the icon next to the address.
- Newsletters will be published approx. monthly. For the most part, the content will mirror the website, with the addition of some unique articles. The Newsletter represents the monthly email you will receive from HCBA.
- Facebook click here (or search on Henderson County Beekeepers in facebook) will provide the opportunity to chat with fellow beekeepers via social media. Ask questions, post pictures, tell tall tales, share your beekeeping experiences. Although club communications will often find their way here, please use the website or Newsletter to stay abreast of events and happenings.
- Periodic ‘special’ emails, such as announcements of special speakers or programs, will be published as needs dictate.
Your Contact Information
HCBA member contact information (phone number and email address) is only used to contact members for ‘official’ club business! Please keep your contact information up to date. To do so, log in and update your profile. Should you forget your password, you may request a new password.
HCBA Calendar of Events
For event details, please check our calendar of events
HCBA – Information by Beekeepers for Beekeepers!